Atop Blue Hill Mountain
Lyn Weisman Mayewski lives in Brooklin, Maine with her husband, Paul, their two Golden Retrievers and cat. Finn and Kenzie help Lyn search for sea glass and china shards on beaches; and Boots, the kitty, provides entertainment in her studio.
Paul Andrew Mayewski is the Director of the Climate Change Institute of the University of Maine. He has spent his career studying climate change through ice coring and continues this important work in such remote areas as Antarctica, Greenland, the Himalayas, and the Andes.
Lyn spent many years working in Public Relations and unabashedly promotes Paul’s books on this site (see link): Journey Into Climate (2011) and The Ice Chronicles (2002).
Lyn Weisman Mayewski studied silverwork at the Evanston Art Center in Illinois, at the Manchester, NH Institute for Arts & Sciences with EH Nutt, and at various workshops throughout New England, including Haystack. Her silverwork incorporates a number of techniques, including reticulation, fusing, keumboo, forging, casting, precious metal clay, enameling, and fabricating. She enjoys creating both jewelry and utilitarian items.
Lyn has been a State-Juried Member of the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen for her silverwork and a Juried Member of the New Hampshire Art Association for her watercolors.
From 1999-2000, she acted as a Juror for the Exeter League of NH Craftsmen. She was the 1996-99 President of the Durham Art Association (NH), a member of the Seacoast Artist Association (NH), and a member of the Metalheads Society. She served on the Visual Arts Committee of the Castine Arts Association (ME) for fourteen years, is a member of the Visual Artists of Maine, and a member of the Maine Crafts Association where she has also served on the Board and as a Juror. Lyn pursues other artistic efforts, including hand felting (kitty, Boots, likes to help with this).
Lyn’s artwork is currently available through these galleries:
- Gallery B, Castine, Maine - www.galleryb.com
- Chapter Two, Corea, Maine - www.chaptertwocorea.com
- Center for Maine Craft, West Gardiner, Maine
- Exeter Fine Crafts, Exeter, New Hampshire
- Winters Work, Little Cranberry Island, Maine
- Clark House Gallery, Bangor, Maine
- Castine Historical Handworks, Castine, Maine
- Handworks Gallery, Blue Hill
- New Hampshire Art Association’s Levy Gallery, Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Gallery Grand, Ellsworth, Maine
- 2012: Gallery Grand, 37 Women Exhibit
- 2011: Runway Grand, The Grand Theater, Ellsworth, Maine
- 2011: CODA Exhibit - juried exhibit through the Maine Crafts Assoc. for the Crafts Organization Development Association’s annual meeting, Portland, Maine
- 2010: “Art with Feeling” juried exhibit - hand-felted wall hanging : “Milkweed Pods” with removable copper & silver brooch : Sharon Arts Center, NH Assoc. of the Blind, & NH Art Assoc.
- 2009: “Art Beyond Sight” juried exhibit : “A Garden for All Seasons” - hand-felted wall hanging NH Art Association & NH Assoc. of the Blind
- 2007: Blue Hill Public Library – “Practical Art” – jewelry exhibit
- 2005: Trinity Gallery, Castine – “Shadows & Reflections” -paintings and handmade felt – one person show
- 2004: Wilson Museum, Castine – “Paintings of Nautilus Island” – one person show
- 2003: Clark House Gallery – Paintings of Bangor
- 2003: Maine Maritime Academy – “Cairns – Seeking Direction” -watercolors and silver jewelry – one person show
- 2002 : Clark House Gallery –Small Works Landscape Painting Exhibition — juried by Carl Little
- 2002 : Clark House Gallery exhibit – Flowers in Bloom
- 2001 : Artist of the Month – Exeter Fine Crafts (NH) – jewelry 2000 : “Artscapes” – League of NH Craftsmen Gallery 205 juried show — silver frame, silverpoint drawing and removable brooch
- 1999 : Lassonde Juried Exhibit – NH Art Association -silverpoint & prismacolor drawing
- 1998 : Creative Hand II – NHAA / League Joint Juried Show -sterling silver candlesticks
- 1997 : League of NH Craftsmen “Home for the Holidays” -silver napkin rings : Metalheads Exhibit juried show - N.W. Barrett Gallery - silver letter opener & bookmarks : N.W. Barrett Gallery (Portsmouth, NH) — juried show - watercolor - “The Garden Shed” : Durham Art Association - featured artist - watercolors
- 1996 : Creative Hand –League/ NH Art Ass’n. Joint Juried Show - silver & sea glass napkin rings
- 1992 : League of NH Craftsmen Juried Show - silver brooches
- 2009 : Honorable Mention – NH Art Association & NH Assoc. of the Blind : Exhibit: “Art Beyond Sight” — hand felted wall hanging – “A Garden for All Seasons”
- 2006 : Honorable Mention – Durham Art Association (NH) — watercolor – “Reflections”
- 1999 : Artistic Excellence Award - Seacoast Artist Ass’n. (NH) — gouache & prismacolor: “Tillandsia on Driftwood”
- 1998 : Honorable Mention - Seacoast Artists Association — watercolor: “Green Tea”
- 1996 : Honorable Mention - Durham Art Association (NH) — watercolor: “Tiana”
- 1995 : Honorable Mention – Durham Art Association — sterling silver napkin rings
- 1995 : Honorable Mention – Durham Art Association — watercolor: “Flowers & Lace”